This week: Veto override vote in NH, Execution in Florida, and Georgia has made having an abortion punishable by death, and more! Take action now!
So much is happening, and we wanted to give you some quick updates. And this is not all. More is on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/deathpenaltyaction/.
- Thursday (5/23/19), the New Hampshire House is set to vote on whether to override Governor Sununu’s veto of the death penalty repeal bill. Lobbying is intense on both sides. If you know anyone in New Hampshire, please urge them to call their state legislators to urge a YES on the override vote!
- Also Thursday, what could be the 1,498th execution is scheduled in Florida. Various filings are before the courts, so this one may come down to the wire. Robert Long is scheduled to be killed for the murder of Michelle Denise Simms. Contact the Governor at email@example.com or 850–488–7146 or www.flgov.com/contact-governor/. There is also an online petition for those living in Florida. Watch for updates at https://www.facebook.com/deathpenaltyaction/.
- Abortion is a big topic of the day. Death Penalty Action has friends and supporters who feel strongly on both sides of the question — organizationally we only take stands related to capital punishment. We all agree that the death penalty is never the answer. We’ve launched a petition urging the Georgia legislature to reverse a newly passed law that could make having an abortion punishable by death! Please sign and share this petition right away!
- CLICK to sign and share the petition to stop the 1500th execution.
- Please sign and share the petition on Change.org to gather opposition. At this writing nearly 500 people have signed so far! Here is sample language you can cut and paste into your social media platform(s): Thursday may see the 1498th US execution. #StopThe1500th Execution — End the #DeathPenalty Now: Sign the Petition! http://chng.it/45zDshBz via @Change @DeathPenaltyAct
- Help Death Penalty Action create the biggest impact possible with your contribution right now using this link: or click here to use Paypal.
If you want to be with us on the ground to protest the #1500th execution where and when it happens, drop us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Perhaps this image of exonerated Ohio death row survivors Derrick Jamison protesting executions will inspire you as much as it inspires us!
Learn more and share at http://deathpenaltyaction.org/1500th.
Please make the most of every opportunity to work for justice this week and every week.
More soon. Many thanks!
Abe & Scott
Death Penalty Action (is 501c3)
PS: Your donation will help us pay for tracking and preparation around the upcoming 1500th execution. We’ll need to support abolitionists on the ground once it is clear where #1500 may be. This may include last-minute travel, new signage, and other outreach. The more we have to work with, the greater our impact will be. If possible, when you invest, please check the box at the bottom of the form to make your investment weekly, monthly or even quarterly!