You are one of thousands of individuals who signed the Death Penalty Action petition to stop the execution of James Daley. Thank you!
Unfortunately, the judge who granted Daley’s stay in November has ruled that the state’s case against Daley was, “Not strong, but it was sufficient.” And yet, this recent cover story for New York Times Magazine spells out how James Dailey was sentenced to death largely due to the word of a notorious jailhouse informant “snitch” witness, Paul Sklanik, who was also a child sex offender and con man. Now, Mr. Dailey needs a grant of clemency or a clemency hearing in order to ensure he will not be executed without the new evidence of his innocence being considered.
Please contact Gov. Ron DeSantis again. Urge him to grant a clemency hearing for James Dailey so that ALL the evidence can be reviewed, including evidence of innocence not reviewed by the courts due to procedural and time limits. It is never too late to review a condemned man’s case for innocence. The stay of execution ends December 30 and a new execution date could be set. Take Action Now.
Email: email@example.com. Call: 850–488–7146 (Mon-Fri 8am-5pm ET).
ALSO, help spread the word by sharing the following on your social media:
- Another day, another guy with an execution date based on flimsy snitch testimony and not much more. Sign this @DeathPenaltyAct petition for #JamesMDailey: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/james-m-dailey-is-innocent-stop-the-execution… #TestTheDNA #FL #DeathPenalty #StopExecutions
- “Don’t let Florida execute James Dailey, Gov. DeSantis. He might be innocent.” Op-Ed via @MiamiHerald https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article238279008.html #StopExecutions @DeathPenaltyAct
- He’s a con man and a known liar, but his testimony sent James Dailey to death row. Why did prosecutors trust him as a jailhouse informant in dozens of cases?
- @pamelacolloff https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/magazine/jailhouse-informant.html #StopExecutions @DeathPenaltyAct
Thank you, And…
Yes, you are getting appeals from everyone. We know. We’re getting them too. Please prioritize Death Penalty Action.
Because so few people are aware enough to worry about stopping executions, when you give to Death Penalty Action at any level, the impact of your dollars is far greater!
Because of supporters like you, this year, Death Penalty Action:
- Helped keep Ohio execution-free
- Supported abolitionists facing down an execution spree in Tennessee
- Led the action opposing the 1500th execution
- Helped New Hampshire abolish its death penalty
- Supported prisoner clemency and innocence campaigns in Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas
- Raised the profile of murder victim families opposed to executions
- Led the struggle to publicly oppose the scheduled federal executions
- Helped illustrate numerous unrelated news items with stock images created by journalists during direct action events we staged.
What’s happening in 2020? With your help, Death Penalty Action will continue supporting prisoner clemency campaigns, opposing federal executions, freeing innocent prisoners, and lifting up state level and other grassroots efforts to stop executions. Also, because the death penalty is almost certain to be an issue in the presidential campaign, while not taking a position on any candidate, we’ll call out inaccuracy when we see it, and educate the voting public.
May we count on you to make sure Death Penalty Action continues to make massive impacts on this issue in 2020?
We’ve set a goal to raise $50,000 by the end of the year, including at least 180 new donors and at least 18 new members of the Death Penalty Action Sustainers Network (monthly donors).
If you have donated already, thank you. Please consider a special year-end gift, and please also consider making your gift smaller, but automatically repeating each month. Just check the little box below the form!
Onward toward abolition!
Or send a check to Death Penalty Action, PO Box 89, Ghent, NY 12075.
Thank you in advance for supporting this vital work today!
Yours in the Struggle,
— Abe & Scott
Co-Directors, Death Penalty Action.
PS: We can only do this work because of YOU! The info you need is here. Please make the most of every opportunity to work for justice this week and every week!