Thank you for signing the petition to help stop Tennessee’s execution of Nick Sutton, scheduled for a week from tomorrow, on February 20th. All signatures received by 12pm CST tomorrow (2/13/2020) will be delivered to our contact in his office for direct delivery to Governor Lee tomorrow afternoon.
We’re ramping it up. Please call Governor Lee right now to ask him to grant clemency to Nicholas Sutton by commuting his death sentence.
The following is from our friends at Tennesseans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty:
Call Governor Lee at 615–741–2001 and ALSO e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tell Governor Lee:
Three members of Tennessee correction staff owe their lives to Nick Sutton, and his petition for clemency should be granted. That’s why seven former and current Tennessee correction professionals have asked for clemency for Mr. Sutton. They believe that his incarceration makes the prison a safer place, and even the daughter of the man for whose murder he was sentenced to death supports clemency for Nick Sutton. His life-saving actions on behalf of others, including prison staff, demonstrate his rehabilitation. We ask that you show mercy, Governor Lee, and commute his death sentence.
It is very important that you stick to the messaging provided, focusing on the correction officials who support Nick’s clemency effort specifically, and not on the broader issue of the death penalty at this time.
To learn more, see photos, and to read Mr. Sutton’s Clemency Application, visit www.clemencyfornicksutton.org
- Click here for the Death Penalty Action petition for Nick Sutton. Within that you’ll find links to the clemency request and related news items. Please share the petition again today. (See sample social media post below)
- If you have any of the March4Mercy postcards, please send them now and order more to keep up the flow into Governor Lee’s office in the coming weeks.
- If you will be in the Nashville area on February 16th, join us for all or part of the nine mile #March4Mercy from Riverbend Maximum Security Institution to the state capitol. Unless the execution is halted or postponed, we’ll step off at 2pm. Currently the weather forecast is perfect! Sign up here to receive specific details and updates for those planning to march.
- Text March4Mercy to 33777 to receive updates via text.
- #NicholasSutton saved the lives of 3 prison guards. Join me in signing the @DeathPenaltyAct petition to TN Gov. Bill Lee urging him to #StopExecutions of Nicholas Sutton. Sign here: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/tn-gov-bill-lee-stop-the-execution-of-nicholas-sutton. #EndTheDeathPenalty #NickSutton
- 32 #Tennessee death row prisoners invited @GovBillLee to visit & pray with them. To-date, no reply. Join us as we call for mercy & #StopExecutions. Sign petition & order postcards for your community to send at http://deathpenaltyaction.org/march4mercy #EndTheDeathPenalty
Abe & Scott, Co-Directors
PS: Create massive and ongoing impact with the March4Mercy. Check the box to commit to a recurring donation of between $5 and $100 (or more) each month. With three Tennessee executions pending and 7 more dates requested by the Attorney General, we must keep the pressure on! If you can’t make it monthly, please consider a generous one-time investment in the work that Death Penalty Action does to support the Tennessee March4Mercy:
Or send a check to Death Penalty Action, PO Box 89, Ghent, NY 12075 with “March4Mercy” in the subject line.
Thank you in advance for supporting this vital work today!