Fed Executions OFF // Agenda for Today’s FB Live Forum on Death Penalty
Friday evening about 7pm, the US Supreme Court finally put a stop to the Trump Administration’s repeated requests to circumvent the normal process of appeals in the United States. The Court upheld the injunction, stopping the scheduled federal executions until further notice. This article spells out why many were concerned, and why this is one of those “death is different” moments. Death Penalty Action applauds the legal teams for this life-saving victory!
Unless Georgia pulls a quick one, there is only one more execution scheduled in 2019, set for Wednesday in Texas. Click here to protest the execution of Travis Runnels
Today there are TWO powerful events that you can watch live or attend!
Starting at 1pm EST until about 5pm, join us live on the Death Penalty Action Facebook page for The State of Injustice: An International Human Rights Day Death Penalty Forum. We wish to announce the participation of Kimma and Lance Gurel, family members of the victims of the man who had been scheduled to be executed in Terre Haute on Monday.
The agenda (subject to adjustment) is as follows. Past 1pm, times are approximate. Breaks are long enough to transition speakers, but program is continuous
12:55pm — Live feed opens
1pm — Welcome/Logistical announcements
1:05pm — Setting the Stage
- Abraham Bonowitz, Death Penalty Action
- Robert Dunham, Death Penalty Information Center (Organization listed for informational purposes only. DPIC does not take a position on the death penalty)
1:30pm — Terre Haute in the Spotlight
- Sister Barbara Battista, Sisters of Providence (Moderator)
- Sylvester Edwards, President, NAACP Terre Haute Branch
- Ashley Kincaid Eve, impacted Indiana activist
- Terry Fear, Vice-President, Inter-Faith Council of the Wabash Valley
- Arthur Feinsod, President, Inter-Faith Council of the Wabash Valley
2:15 — The Other Victims/Advocates for Justice
- Shane Claiborne, Red Letter Christians (Moderator)
- Chris Brown, Author of Child of Grace
- Charles Keith, brother of former Ohio death row prisoner Kevin Keith
- Roderick Reed &
- Wana Akpan, family of Rodney Reed — Texas death row prisoner
3:30pm — On the Path to Abolition
- Abraham Bonowitz (Moderator)
- Doug Pagitt, Executive Director, Vote Common Good
- Stephanie Quiring, Board Chair, Indiana Abolition Coalition
- George Kain, Professor of Justice and Law Administration, Western CT State University
- Emma Tacke, Catholic Mobilizing Network to End the Use of the Death Penalty
- John Zokovitch, Pax Christi USA
4:20pm — Murder Victim Families Say NO to Executions
- Bill Pelke, Founder, Journey of Hope… From Violence to Healing
- Melinda Elkins-Dawson, Murder Victim Family Member
- Kimma Gurel — Sister of Nancy Mueller (in-law of William Mueller, Aunt of Sarah Mueller), the victims in Daniel Lee’s federal case
5:15pm — Assemble outside for march to Federal Courthouse
And, Death Penalty Action is also a co-sponsor of:
I Am Troy Davis
by Phillip Montgomery
based on the book by Jen Marlowe and Martina Davis-Correia, with Troy Davis
Sunday December 8 at 3:00 pm EST
Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre, NYC
WATCH THE LIVESTREAM HERE!
Please join us!
Also — May we count on you to make sure Death Penalty Action continues on the road ahead in 2020? Invest in DPA today!
Or send a check to Death Penalty Action, PO Box 89, Ghent, NY 12075.
Thank you in advance for supporting this vital work today!
Yours in the Struggle,
— Abe & Scott
Co-Directors, Death Penalty Action.
PS: This #GivingTuesday, please chip in $18 or more to Death Penalty Action. Really, we invite your support — as much as possible — using a credit card, Paypal or you can even do it the traditional way and send a check. We can only do this work because of YOU! The info you need is here. Please make the most of every opportunity to work for justice this week and every week!