Monday, December 9, 2019 could see the resumption of federal executions for the first time since 2003. At this writing at noon EST on Friday, December 6, a number of stays and injunctions are in place to stop the executions, which are scheduled for 8am on December 9, 11 and 13. The Government is appealing. Watch our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates, and follow hashtags #NoFedExecution and #StopExecutions.
This Sunday there are TWO powerful events that you can watch live or attend!
Starting at 1pm EST until 5pm, join us live on the Death Penalty Action Facebook page for The State of Injustice: An International Human Rights Day Death Penalty Forum. We wish to announce the participation of Kimma and Lance Gurel, family members of the victims of the man scheduled to be executed in Terre Haute on Monday.
The current roster of participants is as follows:
- Sister Barbara Battista, Sisters of Providence
- Abraham Bonowitz, Death Penalty Action
- Chris Brown, Author of Child of Grace
- Shane Claiborne, Red Letter Christians
- Robert Dunham, Death Penalty Information Center (Organization listed for informational purposes only. DPIC does not take a position on the death penalty)
- Sylvester Edwards, President, NAACP Terre Haute Branch
- Ashley Kincaid Eve, impacted Indiana activist
- Terry Fear, Vice-President, Inter-Faith Council of the Wabash Valley
- Arthur Feinsod, President, Inter-Faith Council of the Wabash Valley
- Kimma and/or Lance Gurel — family of the victims in Daniel Lee’s federal case
- George Kain, Professor of Justice and Law Administration, Western CT State University
- Charles Keith, brother of former Ohio death row prisoner Kevin Keith
- Doug Pagitt, Executive Director, Vote Common Good
- Bill Pelke, Founder, Journey of Hope… From Violence to Healing
- Stephanie Quiring, Board Chair, Indiana Abolition Coalition
- Roderick Reed & Wana Akpan, family of Rodney Reed
- Emma Tacke, Catholic Mobilizing Network to End the Use of the Death Penalty
- John Zokovitch, Pax Christi USA
And, Death Penalty Action is also a co-sponsor of:
I Am Troy Davis
by Phillip Montgomery
based on the book by Jen Marlowe and Martina Davis-Correia, with Troy Davis
Sunday December 8 at 3:00 pm EST
Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre, NYC
WATCH THE LIVESTREAM HERE!
Please mark your calendar and participate!
Also — May we count on you to make sure Death Penalty Action continues on the road ahead in 2020? Invest in DPA today!
Or send a check to Death Penalty Action, PO Box 89, Ghent, NY 12075.
Thank you in advance for supporting this vital work today!
Yours in the Struggle,
— Abe & Scott
Co-Directors, Death Penalty Action.
PS: This #GivingTuesday, please chip in $18 or more to Death Penalty Action. Really, we invite your support — as much as possible — using a credit card, Paypal or you can even do it the traditional way and send a check. We can only do this work because of YOU! The info you need is here. Please make the most of every opportunity to work for justice this week and every week!