It’s a big week for anti-death penalty work.
But first, in case you missed it, a leading voice in our movement died suddenly on Thursday.
Bill Pelke made international headlines when he forgave Paula Cooper, a 15-year-old girl sent to death row for the murder of Bill’s grandmother. Bill, pictured above protesting a recent federal execution outside the federal death house in Terre Haute, became a leader in our movement and founded the Journey of Hope …From Violence to Healing, the only remaining organization led by murder victim family members opposed to the death penalty. Read more about Bill and his work here.
We are heartbroken by Bill’s death, and inspired and spurred to further action in support of his legacy.
The execution of Orlando Hall is scheduled for 4pm on Thursday.
- Sign and share the petition to President Trump (to be delivered Tuesday!).
- Send a letter to your members of congress.
- Click here to register now to join the virtual vigil on Thursday, including live connection to protests at the prison at Terre Haute and at Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington DC. If you are willing and able to join those protests in person, anyone willing do so while masked and keep safe distance is welcome.
Additional Events this week — click for details.
- Mumia Abu Jamal Press Conference (Monday at noon)
- Catholic Mobilizing Network Execution Prayer Vigil (Thursday at 2pm)
- American Constitution Society Panel Discussion on Federal Death Penalty (Thursday at 1:30pm)
- Death Penalty Info Center Veterans & the Death Penalty webinar series continues all week. Click for details.
ALSO: OHIO INITIATIVE
We’ve launched an initiative to urge the Ohio Governor and General Assembly to more SB 296 to abolish Ohio’s death penalty during the current lame duck legislative session.
- Everyone — Sign the petition
- Ohioans — send a letter to the governor
- Ohioans — send a letter to your legislators
Death Penalty Action Needs Your Support. Click here to watch our inspiring 4 minute campaign video. Then….
Yours in the Struggle,
Abraham J. Bonowitz
Director, Death Penalty Action
PS: Three federal executions remain scheduled in the coming weeks, and Death Penalty Action is leading the grassroots opposition. Sign and share our new petition urging president Trump to halt the executions.