Who among us can ignore the big debate of the week over who may be the next U.S. Supreme Court Justice? While it certainly will not stop us, it seems abundantly clear the situation is a setback for the movement to abolish the death penalty.
In case you didn’t know, since 2007 our movement has had a strategy to take a death case to the US Supreme Court with an 8th Amendment claim, arguing that the death penalty as currently practiced is unquestionably “unusual” in practice.
Justice Kennedy was our anticipated swing vote, so that seems to be out the window, returning our movement to a space where progress will be measured person by person, case by case and state by state.
Death Penalty Action was created to support individuals and groups wishing to make the difference on this issue. Because of you, we have already had significant successes and together we will have more. Next on the agenda: Lifting up the visibility of our movement, getting in the mix of strategic campaign work, and supporting our allies.
- Lifting up Visibility — AbolitionWear Returns! (Watch for a special announcement coming early next week!)
- Strategic Campaigns: We’ve helped stop five of the last six scheduled executions under Governor Kasich, who is termed out. Death Penalty Action co-Director Abe Bonowitz is working with allies in Ohio to keep that state from resuming executions under the next governor. More information is here.
- Supporting Allies: The Journey of Hope …From Violence to Healing is on the ground in Uganda, helping keep that country from resuming executions. More is here and you can help, here.
- Supporting Allies: Death Penalty Action is part of the host committee for the upcoming Witness to Innocence 15th Anniversary Celebration on Nov 15 in Philadelphia. Please click here for details and join us!
- Supporting Allies: Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty will host keynote speaker Mike Farrell and honor death row survivor Joe Giarratano at an awards luncheon on October 20 in Vienna. Details are here.
There is so much to do. You can help! Today Death Penalty Action urgently invites you to please stretch to the largest donation amount possible at this time. Click here now to make a significant immediate investment, and then come back to click through a second time and check the box at the bottom to join our Sustainers Network with a smaller gift set to run automatically on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis.
Together we are making the difference to stop executions! Thank you for your friendship and support.
— Abe & Scott
Co-Directors, Death Penalty Action.
PS — Please check the box below the form here, to set it and forget it by becoming a Death Penalty Action sustainer! Please join with others currently investing $5, $9, $10, $25, $50 and $100 each month — automatically. Thank you.