Tennessee March4Mercy to #StopExecutions Continues Feb 16 in Nashville — Join us!
We’ve not heard from Governor Lee yet regarding clemency for Nick Sutton, so we’ll be gathering tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 16) for another march from Riverbend Maximum Security Institution to Legislative Plaza. We YOU be with us?
Why this Sunday? Nick Sutton is scheduled to be executed on Thursday, February 20th. We are committed to take visible action on the weekend prior to each scheduled execution. If you have not yet done so, please sign and share the petition which we will deliver on Tuesday morning in support of calls for Governor Lee to commute Nick’s death sentence.
DETAILS FOR SUNDAY:
- Starting at 1:30pm, we will gather in the private parking lot on the right just before you get to the prison.
- By 2pm, we’ll step off to march to the state capitol.
- A break and second gathering point will be at the NAACP office (1308 Jefferson St.) at approximately 4 to 4:30pm. We’ll aim to continue marching from there by approximately 4:45pm. If you are unable to join for the whole 9-mile march, this is a good spot to meet up — try to be there by 4pm.
- A final break (if needed) will be on the terrace of Victory Park (north side of the capitol) prior to the final leg of the march around the capitol to Legislative Plaza. Join us for a strong finish! Be there by 5pm.
- There will be a closing circle & prayer at Legislative Plaza starting at approximately 5:30pm to urge Governor Lee to stop all the executions.
Thank you! There are other ways to support this effort;
- Pray for the Governor, the prisoners, and the legal team working to stop the execution of Steve West, and everyone involved in the system and the work to end executions.
- Send the Governor an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org AND call him at 615–741–2001 — Ask him to go pray with the prisoners on death row. Ask him to stop all executions.
- Order and send the postcards! (We’ll have them at the march and rally as well)
- Make a donation to help cover Death Penalty Action’s costs of supporting this effort.
- Spread the word! Share the Facebook event on Facebook and/or use this sample social media post:
Stop the upcoming execution of #NickSutton in #Tennessee! Sign the petition, get details for the #March4Mercy THIS SUNDAY (Feb. 16), order postcards for your community to send, donate and more: http://deathpenaltyaction.org/march4mercy #EndTheDeathPenalty #StopExecutions
Thank you! Yours in the Struggle,
Co-Director, Death Penalty Action.
PS: Please make the most of every opportunity to work for justice this week and every week! Chip in to support this work, here.