Test the DNA! Stop Tonight’s Texecution of Ruben Gutierrez!
Call Texas Governor Abbott Today at 512–463–2000 to say “Stop the Execution of Ruben Gutierrez. Test the DNA!”
Ruben Gutierrez is scheduled for execution in Texas THIS evening (June 16) for the 1999 beating and stabbing death of Escolastica Harrison. He has always maintained his innocence and has been denied DNA testing which could support his claims.
CURRENT STATUS (9:30am CDT): The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles DECLINED to recommend clemency yesterday. Governor Abbott still has the power to stay the execution for 30 days. That is a current ask, and there are appeals pending at the US Supreme Court. Watch our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.
All new signatures will be delivered to Governor Abbott on your behalf at 1:00 pm Central Time TODAY. Click here to learn more and share the petition.
Please also call the Governor at 512–463–1782 or 512–463–2000, even if you have already done so. You can simply leave a voice message, or choose to speak to a representative if you prefer. After you call, send a direct message on his web page at https://gov.texas.gov/contact/.
Also: Here is a sample social media post you can copy into your own Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc:
Please note: In Texas, the Governor has limited power when it comes to the death penalty. But the story we are told that “it’s out of the governor’s hands,” is only true if we allow it to be. Yes, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles must recommend clemency in that state in order for the Governor to grant clemency (mercy) by commuting a death sentence. But the fact is that the governor appoints the members of the Board of Pardons and Paroles. He can choose to appoint members who will take valid claims and concerns more seriously, instead of acting like rubber-stamping gate-keepers. If he chooses to do so, Governor Abbott can still use his position of power and influence to enact justice in the State of Texas.
SAVE THE DATES
June 29, 30, July 1 & 2
Coming up two weeks from today is the 27th Annual Starving’ for Justice: The Fast & Vigil to Abolish the Death Penalty. A preview discussion was featured yesterday on Voices of Experience on the Death Penalty (watch here).
Due to the pandemic, all programming will be virtual via Zoom and broadcast on the Starvin’ for Justice and partner Facebook pages. During the day and in the evenings, we’ll host interviews, panel discussions, musicians, artistic readings and at least one film screening. Those who register in advance will receive access to special programming just for Starvin’ for Justice participants.
Confirmed speakers and programs include:
- Panel Discussion & keynote: Extra-Judicial Executions in the United States
- The Death Penalty Information Center’s Rob Dunham
- The Julius Jones Campaign
- The Rodney Reed Campaign
- The Kevin Keith Campaign
- Meeting the needs of murder victim family members
- Journey of Hope… From Violence to Healing speakers
- Witness to Innocence speakers
- Panel: Religion & the Death Penalty
- State reports, including Virginia, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and many others
- Tessie Castillo and co-authors of Crimson Letters
- Panel: Former Executioners
- Film Screening & Talk Back: In the Executioners Shadow
- And much more! Full Schedule to be Announced by June 25th.
Please join the sponsors with your sponsorship today. Co-sponsors as of June 12th include:
- Amnesty International Group 213 — Raleigh, NC
- Abraham & Isaac Bonowitz and Beth Wood
- Zann Carter
- Chuck Culhane
- Death Penalty Action
- Death Row Support Project
- Dick Dieter and Maggie Louden
- Doug Dunlop
- Equal Justice USA
- Gainesville Citizens for Alternatives to the Death Penalty — Gainesville, FL
- German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Bob Gross
- Susan Gries
- Andrea Hall
- Viki Harrison
- Mary Hendrix
- Journey of Hope… from Violence to Healing
- Kehilla Community Synagogue
- Caroline Klam
- Marianist Social Justice Collaborative
- Dick and Eileen Melia
- Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- National Benedictines for Peace
- Nevada Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Bruce and Julie Pearson
- People Against Executions (PAX) of the Open Door Community
- Mrs. Nancy Scheaffer
- Joanne Schwarz
- South Dakotans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- Rev. Dr. Jack Sullivan, Jr.
- Scott Taylor
- Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty — in honor of the Reed Justice Initiative
- Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- Dina Windle
- Witness to Innocence
- Anonymous from North Carolina
Join the sponsorship list today, here.
And we must renew and redouble our efforts to change our world. Sign petitions to oppose other upcoming executions here.