Executions are scheduled this evening in Tennessee and Alabama. YOU can help stop them.
- Please call Alabama Governor Kay Ivey at 334–242–7100 to ask her to stop the execution of Brandon Samra.
- Please call Tennessee Governor Bill Lee at 615–741–2001 to ask him to stop the execution of Don Johnson, or at the very least, visit Riverbend Prison and pray with Don and the others on death row.
More info about both cases is on Death Penalty Action’s Facebook page. Also on our Facebook page, follow the work Death Penalty Action is doing with grassroots anti-death penalty leaders on the ground in Tennessee. That’s co-director Abe Bonowitz on the left, helping lead yesterday’s action asking Gov. Lee to stop the execution, or at least to visit and pray with Don Johnson before allowing his death.
If tonight’s executions go forward, they will be the 1,496th and 1,497th executions since 1977. Yes, these men are more than numbers. At the same time, the numbers are real, bringing us closer to a troubling and shameful milestone on the road to Abolition. At this writing, the 1500th execution in the post-furman era of the death penalty may be in July, and possibly sooner.
- Please sign and share the petition on Change.org to gather opposition. At this writing more than 400 people have signed so far! Here is sample language you can cut and paste into your social media platform(s):
Stop the 1500th Execution — End the #DeathPenalty Now: Sign the Petition! http://chng.it/45zDshBz via @Change @DeathPenaltyAct
- Help Death Penalty Action create the biggest impact possible with your contribution right now using this link: https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/carry-it-further-by-investing-today-2/ or use Paypal at https://www.paypal.me/DeathPenaltyAction
- If you want to be with us on the ground to protest the #1500th execution where and when it happens, drop us a note to email@example.com.
More soon. Many thanks!
Abe & Scott
Death Penalty Action (is 501c3)
PS: Your donation will help us pay for tracking and preparation. We’ll need to support abolitionists on the ground once it is clear where #1500 may be. This may include last-minute travel, new signage, and other outreach. The more we have to work with, the greater our impact will be. If possible, when you invest, simply check the box at the bottom of the form to make your investment weekly, monthly or even quarterly!