URGENT: Monday & This Week: Take Action on Federal Executions!
With two federal executions later this week, the 11am Monday press conference announcing our call on congress to act on the federal death penalty is available to watch on the Death Penalty Action Facebook page. Please watch live, or later, and share it with your community.
Participants in order of planned appearance include:
- Abraham Bonowitz (moderating for Death Penalty Action)
- Rep. Adriano Espaillat (NY-13)
- A statement from Rep. Ayanna Pressley (MA-7)
- Aundreia Alexander, National Council of Churches
- John Zokovitch, Pax Christi USA
- Mark Bettencourt, Nevada Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Bill Pelke, Journey of Hope... From Violence to Healing
- Ashley Kincaid Eve, Terre Haute Death Penalty Resistance & lead plaintiff in lawsuit to guarantee protester access to location in proximity to the federal prison
- Sister Mary Montgomery, Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods & Terre Haute Death Penalty Resistance
- Sylvester Edwards, President, Terre Haute Branch of NAACP & Terre Haute Death Penalty Resistence
ALSO: TWO ACTION ITEMS:
- Send a personal e-mail to any organizational leaders you know (national, state, local, faith groups and individual houses of worship, civic group, business, team, etc.), asking them to visit this link and sign on to the organizational sign-on letter http://deathpenaltyaction.org/federal-death-penalty/sign-on.
- Help build the individual sign-on letter by signing it personally for yourself, and inviting others you know to also sign and share the petition to congress at https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/tell-congress-abolish-the-federal-death-penalty/
Beyond the congressional activity, we are also building protests of the executions scheduled on August 26 and 28 in Terre Haute, Indiana and at the Department of Justice in DC. Note that on the 26th the person being killed is Lezmond Mitchell, a member of the Navajo Nation, which along with the victim families in the case opposes this execution. More on those action opportunities and viewing of the live vigils may be found on our Federal Death Penalty resource page, here.
Finally, if you or your organization will help us fund this effort at any level, please become a sponsor today at this link.
Thank you. More soon!
Yours in the Struggle,
Abraham J. Bonowitz